Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Blogger blocked by US immigration

Blogger blocked by US immigration - Breaking - http://www.smh.com.au/technology/: 'A Canadian blogger who tried to enter the US for a meeting with a media company was turned back at immigration in New York, apparently because the immigration staff did not believe that someone could be earning a living by blogging.

Jeremy Wright of Ensight.org, who has gained a measure of fame among bloggers for selling his blog for profit and auctioning his services on eBay, was strip-searched and then banned from entering the US after he tried to visit New York last week.

Wright had detailed his ordeal on his blog but has now removed these pages, explaining, "I've pulled my posts on the immigration issue, on the friendly (if stern) advice of friends that this kind of thing won’t help my case if someone does find it."

In another post, Wright wrote: "I'm still not 100 percent sure what happened at Customs at the airport. Really, totally unsure. However at the very least I was denied entry and flagged for follow-up any other time I try to enter. As far as I can tell, I am not 'banned' from entering. I'm not sure why the border guard said I was, threatened to throw me and jail and seize my assets, etc."

No comments: