Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Can I Clear Google's Search History?

I added the Google search bar to Internet Explorer, and it's a handy tool for quickly finding information without going to the Google homepage. However, it also tries to be "helpful" by storing my recent search terms and offering them to me when I type in the first few letters of a new search.

I share my computer with other users, and I'm not comfortable with the idea that they can see everything I've searched for. Is there a way to get rid of these search entries? Thanks!

ANSWER:
The search terms are saved in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key of the Registry. That means that they're only visible in IE when you're logged on with your own account. So if the other users log on with different accounts, they won't be able to see what you've searched. However, if you find the feature annoying, or if others have access to your computer when it's logged on to your account, here's how to clear Google's collection of previous search terms:


Open your favorite registry editor.
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1
Click the History subkey.
In the right pane, you'll see a list of the saved search terms. You can select all, or highlight just the individual ones you want to remove, then right click and select Delete.
You may need to close and reopen the browser before the change takes effect.

1 comment:

good days said...


شركة تنظيف سجاد الكويت
شركة تنظيف الجهراء شركة تنظيف الجهراء
شركة تنظيف منازل الكويت شركة تنظيف منازل الكويت
شركة تنظيف منازل الاحمدي شركة تنظيف منازل الاحمدي
شركة تنظيف حولي شركة تنظيف حولي