Wednesday, October 25, 2006

If I were raped today, I would not report it

If I were raped today, I would not report it | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited: Julie Bindel on why she has lost faith in the system

"For years afterwards, while campaigning against rape and other crimes as a founder of the group Justice for Women, I bitterly regretted not reporting my attackers. My overwhelming feeling was guilt. What if they succeeded next time?

Then there was the 18-year-old "lap dancer" recently jailed for six months for perverting the course of justice. Various footballers accused of "roasting" women have been exonerated, while the women who accused them of rape are vilified as "prostitutes" and "gold-diggers". In the past seven years, women have also been sued for defamation by men accused of raping them after their cases were discontinued by the police."

No comments: