Thursday, January 20, 2005

TN forgets an 11-year-old's sacrifice

January 19, 2005 19:37 IST


Even the supreme sacrifice of 11-year-old N Kandha
Kumar, posthumously chosen for the National Bravery
Award, has failed to awaken the authorities in Tamil
Nadu.

Kandha was run over by a train while trying to save
his schoolmates at an unmanned crossing near Amur in
Karur district. Even though the accident took place
nearly two years ago, the level crossing still has no
check gate.

The accident had occurred when Kandha was returning
home in his school van on July 22, 2003. The van broke
down on the tracks and seeing the train approaching,
the driver panicked and fled, leaving seven kids
trapped.

The Class VII boy immediately jumped out of the van
and rescued two children. But while he was trying to
help another of his friends, the train rammed into the
van killing Kandha, three children and a helper.

Kandha's father Nayenachalam, a farmer, claimed the
train that killed his son was an inspection train.

"I may not be well educated, but after my son's death,
I have read extensively on railway safety. I have even
submitted requests to the railway and the state
government to set up check-gates at all railway
crossings," he said.

"I know that my son will never come back, but I will
continue to pressurise the authorities to set up
railway check-gates," he said.

No comments: